- What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. Starter Kit. A beautiful 40-page book which introduces the basic rules of the game and provides you with a short adventure and six pregenerated characters. This book contains a very basic, stripped-down expression of the rules. The Starter Kit is free as a PDF or you can buy the softcover.
- N.E.W. The Science Fiction Roleplaying Game. Science fiction roleplaying game.You can download the intro chapter of this for free. This gorgeous 285-page full-colour book allows you to create and run adventures in any sci-fi setting! Whether you're aboard a starship exploring new worlds, a bounty hunter tracking down outlaws on the fringes of civilisation, an agent infiltrating an intergalactic criminal organization, an intrepid hunter of exotic alien species, fighting a galactic civil war, or just a trader trying to make your way in an uncaring universe, N.E.W. has you covered!
- Ensure your copy of N.E.W. is v1.1 (see the credits page). The hardcovers are all v1.1. If your PDF is not, redownload it from the site you got it from!
- Future Careers. In these 60 pages you'll find rules for creating sci-fi characters. With over 60 careers, 7 species, and a wide selection of skills, traits, and exploits, this book walks you through the character creation process. Select your character's early careers using the life-path system to create erudite Android medics, reckless Human smugglers, mighty Ogron marines, young Venetian star knights, or ambidextrous Felan burglars. [amazon] [barnes & noble]
- "I've played several RPGs and this one has my favorite character creation system. As you layer on the various options you get a real feel for the character and its history. I've never played a game that got me that involved and invested with a character even before play begins."
- Future Equipment. This manual includes a wide variety of weapons, armor, equipment, drugs, cybernetics, vehicles, and more for characters in the What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. roleplaying game system along with rules for upgrading and customizing gear. From subspace beacons, to gravbelts, to handlheld scanners; from sonic pistols to laser swords; from kevlar vests to powered armor; the equipment you choose us an important decision. And with more exotic weaponry, such as the Galactic Yards PBW28 Electro Halberd or the MicroCo JO40 Stingfury Tachyon Autopistol, you'll be sure to find something to suit your character's style. [amazon] [barnes & noble]
- Future Core. This is a WOIN core rulebook. This manual contains the core rules of the What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. roleplaying game system, designed for a futuristic campaign. While other books tell you how to create a character or build a universe, this book tells you how to play the game. With rules for attribute checks, countdowns, luck, combat, injury & death, objects, and the environment, inside you'll find all the rules you need to adjudicate any task your characters might attempt. [amazon] [barnes & noble]
- Fantasy Core. The core rules of the game in a medieval fantasy wrapper.
- Space. This sourcebook for the What’s O.L.D. is N.E.W. roleplaying game system contains information on space and starship operations, space travel, and starship combat. [amazon] [barnes & noble]
- "This book is a fantastic read, and provides enough options and information to be useful in almost any sci-fi space setting. But better still, the material invokes a sense of nostalgia for so many space-based books, movies, and tv series. As a sci-fi buff, and a bit of a science geek, I loved reading through this for the detail, as well as the mood setting of it's examples of play."
- Building a Universe. Guidelines and resources for creating a futuristic setting, including worlds, races, star systems, aliens, careers, and more, as well as a look at different setting and campaign types.
- Fantasy Worldbuilding. Guidelines and resources for creating a fantasy setting, including monsters, races, careers, and a look at different setting and campaign types.
- Fantasy Careers. Create knights, burglars, mages, musketeers, and berserkers in this sourcebook for the What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. roleplaying game system. With over 40 careers, 7 races, and a wide selection of skills, traits, and exploits, this book walks you through the character creation process. Select your character's early careers using the life-path system to create inspiring Grand Elf musketeers, shy Mountain Dwarf assassins, brilliant Human firemages, naive Smallfolk clerics, or brawny Orc barbarians. Will your character be a master of lore, a warrior with shield and sword, or a sneaky burglar? A notorious assassin, a wily con artist, or an inquisitor seeking justice? Only you can decide!
- Fantasy Equipment. This manual includes a wide variety of weapons, armor, equipment, herbs, mounts, magic items, and more for characters in the What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. roleplaying game system, along with rules for enchanting and customizing gear. From 10-foot poles to herbalists kits to ear trumpets; from crossbows to muskets to longswords; from ringmail to platemail; the equipment you choose is an important decision. And with magical items like the Lesser Helm of Darkness, Ring of Invisibility, or example artifacts like Excalibur and Mjölnir, you'll be sure to find something to suit your character's style.
- Elements of Magic. Within this manual you will find the rules for spellcasting in the What's OLD is NEW roleplaying game system. Magic is an artform, like poetry, and any good poet is never content to merely recite the works of others. Create your own spells with the flexible spell-creation system, learning to evoke fire, create ice, abjure the undead, heal beasts, and much, much more. Combine skills with secrets for endless possibilities. In this tome you will also find rules for alchemy, variant spell casting rules including fatigue, subtle magic, and rituals, information on magical implements, new magical exploits, and over 70 sample spells.
- Wilderness & Strongholds. Wilderness travel and stronghold building rules for fantasy or archaic settings, along with the PC-focused warfare system.
- Starship Construction Manual. Starship captains and engineers will appreciate this guide to building and customizing starships. With dozens of engines, computers, weapons, shields, and other components, you can construct anything from a small freighter to a giant battleship.
Upcoming products include the following. While no release dates are given in advance, their current status is noted for those awaiting them. The process goes planned -> draft -> written -> in layout -> published. Layout has been averaging about 6 weeks per book, with the Fantasy and Future lines proceeding simultaneously.
- [draft] Santiago: A Myth of the Far Future. An adventure for far future campaigns which has the PCs on the trail of a legendary bounty hunter. Their trail takes them across the galaxy and its them against colorful foes such as Giles Sans Pitié, ManMountain Bates, Altair of Altair, Simple Simon, Father William, and The Angel. This adventure is designed to follow directly on from The Suliman Brothers, the example encounter at the end of the NEW core rulebook.
- [draft] Fantasy Bestiary. Monsters and NPCs for your fantasy or archaic games, from guards and assassins to death knights and dragons.
- [draft] Future Bestiary. Alien creatures and NPCs for your futuristic games, from bounty hunters and cops to robots and xenomorphs.
- [draft] Modern Careers. The definitive book to create your modern-setting character, plus rules for chi and for dozens of martial arts and chi powers.
- [draft] Modern Equipment. Weapons, armor, and gadgets for modern camapigns.
- [draft] Redline. Vehicle rules, customization, and combat.
- [planned] Starship Recognition Manual. A selection of starships designed for use with WOIN's starship operations and starship combat rules.
The following three books are compiled hardcovers which include the chapters above. They will be completed and released when their component chapters (above) are completed.
- O.L.D. The Roleplaying Game. Medieval fantasy roleplaying game. You can download the intro chapter of this for free. This hardcover book includes Fantasy Careers, Fantasy Equipment, Fantasy Core, Elements of Magic, and Wilderness & Strongholds.
- N.O.W. The Roleplaying Game. Modern action roleplaying game. You can download the intro chapter of this for free. This hardcover book includes Modern Careers, Modern Equipment, Modern Core, Martial Arts, and Redline.
And check out E.O.N.S., the official magazine which provides regular official content for W.O.I.N.
Which Books Do I Need?
There is more than one way to get the WOIN rules. You can either buy a single hardcover which contains all the rules you need for one era (archaic, modern, or future), or you can build your rules piecemeal with smaller softcover books (also available as PDFs, of course). The latter method enables you to customize your ruleset, and easily share relevant sections at the game table, and the chart below will help you in this process.
You need one Character Creation book, one Equipment book, and one Core Rules book. While they can be from the same era, they don't have to be, and you can use more than one book of each type at the same time. A cyberpunk game might combine Modern Careers and Future Equipment, for example.
You only need one Core Rules book; the three Core Rules books are very similar, although each is themed to a certain era and contains different examples of complex skill tasks.
Supplemental books are entirely optional. They add extra rules and detail to an era, or they provide worldbuilding tools and advice. Bestiaries are also optional; the hardcover books contain an appendix with a basic assortment of monster or enemy stats.
Elements of Magic
Building a Universe
Starship Construction Manual
Starship Recognition Manual
If you opt for the hardcover route, the hardcovers compile the above books, one ofr each era. They give you everything you need to design characters and to create and run a campaign in an archaic, modern, or futuristic era.
- N.E.W. The Science Fiction Roleplaying Game. Science fiction roleplaying game.You can download the intro chapter of this for free. This gorgeous 285-page full-colour book allows you to create and run adventures in any sci-fi setting! Whether you're aboard a starship exploring new worlds, a bounty hunter tracking down outlaws on the fringes of civilisation, an agent infiltrating an intergalactic criminal organization, an intrepid hunter of exotic alien species, fighting a galactic civil war, or just a trader trying to make your way in an uncaring universe, N.E.W. has you covered! This book includes the above WOIN rulebooks Future Careers, Future Equipment, Future Core, Space, and Building a Universe.
You might alternatively buy one hardcover book, and add any supplemental material you wish. For example, if you were running a Star Trek style game with a vessel visiting different worlds each week, you might buy the NEW hardcover, and supplement it with Modern Equipment and Archaic Equipment for adventures set on primitive worlds.
This way, no matter what your budget or setting, you can get exactly the rules you need.